AMVAC’s Associate Scientist supports the Research and Development efforts through the development and enhancement of the science that provides the company with a competitive advantage in the agricultural chemicals market. Processes that are developed will have lower cost of manufacture (raw materials, conversion and capital), environmentally sustainable manufacturing profiles (minimal waste) and are safe to operate. This position mentors Chemists within the Technology Group; supports other Scientists and provides reports to the Group Leaders.
AMVAC Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, is an essential business that successfully serves global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. (NYSE: AVD)
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Working under the direction of senior lab staff, the Associate Scientist performs chemistry research within AMVAC laboratories and with various outside entities
- Provides physical chemical transformations, tests raw materials & running sample batches of current products, investigating processing conditions to define manufacturing process conditions
- Records and reports results in a timely manner
- Conducts work safely and practices excellent housekeeping to support an accident free workplace
- Maintains a laboratory presence and skill set capable of addressing various process chemistry problems that may arise with current and new AMVAC products
- Solves problems independently or with team members with emphasis on minimal economic impact to the company, minimum speed to resolution and durable solutions
- Develops new process concepts and improves processes that AMVAC can use to differentiate itself from competitors
- Reviews daily output of laboratory results and consults with operations, environmental and process chemistry departments
- Provides maximum communication and supports internal coordination
- Complies and ensures compliance with all regulatory safety requirements and with all regulatory environmental requirements
Skills & Qualifications
- Able to read and understand analytical methods and procedures
- Excellent written and reporting skills
- Knowledge and compliance of manufacturing ?safety & health rules and practices
- Accuracy, thoroughness and ability to perform work while meeting quality standards?
- Cooperation and attitude with the? ability to work well with others
- Experience working in a fast paced environment
- Must be able to effectively communicate with other people in the Department and with Production personnel
- Must pass post-offer physical, background checks and other appropriate testing as required
- B.S. degree in scientific field that includes laboratory experience required
- Advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering desired
- 5+ years’ experience in a specialty chemical company Or 2+ years’ experience with a relevant PhD
- Advanced chemistry training (synthetic organic, analytical or formulation) in a development, process support, or research lab is preferred.
- Experience in an analytical or environmental lab is a plus
- Compensation commensurate to experience
- Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision,
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) available
- Life and AD&D Insurance?
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.